Tagline

This is not an express route. Where ever my mind travels to, the blog will ride shotgun.
This journey is mainly fuelled by humour!

Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Depressing in Tampa East

Some people have a level problem!

HI, my name is Richard. I am retired. I am 52 years old… 53 in a week! (I haven’t post for so long, I thought I should introduced myselfL)
I could come up with thousand excuses, (after all I am a man) but I’ll just skip ahead like if nothing happened…

Just a quick recap… We Returned to Florida on January 4th. We were greeted at the airport by André who had volunteered to pick us up on our return. It was past midnight, we just went back to our trailer in Tampa. The trailer was in the overflow and was happy to see us back.
The following day, we moved the trailer to our assigned spot. Now, I am the kind of person who looks at the glass as being half full, but there was nothing in that campground for us...

The noise from the highway was constant and loud (24 hours a day). I souldn’t complain, once in a while we couldn’t hear the noise, it was overtaken by an chopper that was landing very close by.
We were parked under big trees and lets just say, the sun was not shinning on us! Strangely, the tree leaves were falling, for crying loud, can someone tell me since when do trees lose there foliage in the middle of winter? I hate to compare but in Canada, we trained our trees to loose there leaves in the fall.

The ground was dirt with a carpet of leaves, no grass, no cement pad, just a place in the deep dark shade. The back of the trailer was only a few inches off the ground where the front was a few feet.  If you didn't get that description… it means we were parked on a slope!  Nothing levelled  here and as if that was not enough, there were roots running all over the site.  I’m surprised we didn’t trip and break our neck. It seems to me that a stay at a nearby hospital would have been a big improvement.
Do you think that I’m done with the whining… NO! We also had guests, ants that is! Boy those guys can sure walk in a straight line,  I served in the army and I can tell you that we were not that disciplined! Now don’t tell on me, but I poisoned them. Whouhahaha maybe the ants were there just to distract us so we would stop looking at our poor living conditions.

No I’m not done yet… behind us, there was a small ditch with stagnant water, a nice greenish glow was emanating from it, needless to says we stayed away from that ditch!
Almost done but stay tuned… across that ditch, a busy RV store. They had a loud PA system that kept going on all day: “Roger please come to the front desk”, “Jim please flush the toilet”, “Jane please pick  up line 1”… on and on and on. I don’t really know if they were that successful  a business or pretending to be busy but they kept moving thosetrailers with the tractor…

Last comment, location, location, location!  It was not there. To get anywhere we were always stuck in traffic, it was minimum one  hour to go do the groceries.
If you are travelling, and what I described is what you are looking for, just book at Tampa East RV resort, specially to their Palm lot. I don’t know why, but there are people there that keep coming back every year for the winter… just to tell you, they won’t have to over bid me for it, I’ll gladly let them have the whole place. We had payed for 2 months in advance but when I went to the office and told them we were leaving at the end of January, they refunded me.


For the month of January, we didn’t do much (other than complain). Hockey was in lockout but relatively close by, the players from the Tampa’s Lighting were practicing. We were lucky enough to see  Vincent Lecavalier, Martin St-Louis and many more there.
Martin St-Louis
No he is not waving at ME :(
 
A "montreal Fan" watching the enemy practice. Notice the Nordique sign on his purse... maybe he is a "hidden Nordique fan"
At the same level as the players... but we are retired, they have to go to work now... Who is the winner?
 

We also attended the Tampa RV show, I think it is one of the biggest in the state… it’s so big that they have shuttles going around. It was crowded, not only with people, but animals too. Please if you have a pet, leave it at home, it will be much better off than being in an event like that one.

Well that was January, a month that I would like to erase from my memory. We were even thinking that the snow and the cold back home was not that bad after all… but February is a completely different story, you will have to tune in the next few days to find out!

The next picture is to give you a taste of what is coming J
 
P.S. This post happened because of Hugo's begging, who couldn't man up anymore and was on the verge of blog withdrawal.  (Note from Christiane: Actually Hugo, you gave Richard the spark to start on his blog again)
 
Howard Park
I was lucky, I found a free parking spot right by the gulf!
  

 

10 comments:

  1. Go Nordiques, go!

    Dear pawpaw,

    When you see a spring full of fluorescent greenish/yellow ooze, you're supposed to jump or fall in it. That's how you get superpowers. Don't you want to be a superhero?

    - Hairy Toes

    P.S. Here in Canada, the ants are all sleeping for the winter. You can come back and enjoy an ant-less resort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear H.T

    I already have superhero power... I know what my kids are doing whouhahaha

    Such a good idea to join an ant-less resort in sunny Ottawa, however, I don't have gas money to go there... please send money!

    PoorMe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was laughing when I read the bit about the noise from the traffic and when you couldn't hear it, the helicopters landing. All I could think of was the owl scene from My Cousin Vinny... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stange sense of homour... laughing at my demise! But, it's OK, I'm sure you were not laughing at me... were you???

      HahaNotInTampaEastanyMore

      Delete
  4. Wow... Richard! what a dreadful place!glad you got your money back. I hope you go on down to the Keys. The Bahia State Park is really interesting. I enjoyed it there a few years back.

    Well? I'm anxious to read about your February! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Carolyn, we are further up North... New Port Richey!

      I don't know if I love it, it seem to me that I would have been happy no matter where we will have move to :)

      It is just a good lessons... our surrounding (people and places) are also a big part of our appreciation of life... Isn't it?

      Delete
  5. Hanging out in hockey arenas is pretty much proof that you MISS our beautiful Canadian weather. I see you also made sure that our beautiful Canadian flag was part of one of your photos.

    I'm glad you guys were able to escape Tampa East!

    - WWE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonjour Richard et Christine. Nous partons pour Washington le 16 Mars (je vais a la conférence de FEDCASIC 19-21) et puis nous allons nous promener probablement jusqu'a Myrtle Beach ou plus loin qui sais...Seulement jusqu'au 27 mars mais nous avons hâte de voir des beaux palmiers. Ceci dit pas sur le terrain de camping que tu viens de mentionner. Je crois que j'aimerais bien avoir une belle chambre dans un resort comfortable.Si tu es près de Myrtle on pourra aller souper ensemble. A Washington nous seront au JW Marriott..Michel va s'amuser pas mal pendant que moi je vais bosser...le chanceux je crois que je devrais l'envoyer faire ma présentation à FEDCASIC comme cela je pourrai profiter de ce belle hotel et activités.
    P.S. Y fait froid au Québec mais on se réchauffe avec l'humour de nos humoristes. Hier nous avons été à la maison de la culture voir la Cage au folles avec Benoit Brière et nous avons ris comme des fous..
    Bonne journée

    Gigi et Mike ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allo vous deux... vous ne revenez pas juste de Cuba?

      Nous on est sur la cote ouest de la Floride et on devrait revenir pour la première semaine d'avril... à moins qu'il y a une tempête hahaha

      Y fait froid itou en Floride, je mets mes pantoufle à fourure de ce temps là :-)

      Je suis persuadé que Michel va juste t'attendre sagement dans la chambre d'hotel :-)))

      Delete
  7. Adventurous spot will be loved by everyone. Nice experience share and in future you can use port of tampa cruises parking services at the port of Tampa for mid to high-end restaurants, nightclubs, private events.Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete