Tagline

This is not an express route. Where ever my mind travels to, the blog will ride shotgun.
This journey is mainly fuelled by humour!

Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Not a dicey post!

This is the second post of the day.

New Port Richey, Florida
Feb and Mar 2013

Back to the news: Yesterday was a great day for ME, I played dice with Jo, Christiane and André. I won 4 games out of five!

This is extremely rare… what are the odds of that you ask? It is one in 1023!  (Notes from Christiane: there goes the statistics guy again!)

Without giving too much game rules, let me just tell you that it plays with 5 dice, to win you need to accumulate 10,000 points and you need 500 points to open. If you get five one, you automatically win the game.

So, for one of the games, I was not opened yet and I threw five ones… WOW. What are the odds of that you asked? One in 46655.  (Notes from Christiane: we were all looking at the dice, there was a one, then another, then another…)


This weekend, the power ball is over 120 millions… I have to go and get tickets. If you don’t get any news from me for a while…

Well maybe my news is not as exciting for everyone else… but what can I say, it brings a smile to my face!  Isn’t that what it’s all about? Hahaha

Following my victoriessss, we went to Gator buffet for supper. Needless to say, after such a workout, I had a great appetite!

In the evening, I watched hockey with André outside his motorhome. Canadians lost to Islander (my luck was still going strong)

In the evening, at 9, the water was cut-off in our camping. The town was doing some scheduled work from 9 pm till 5am and it just happened that the work was right by our trailer. They had huge lights set up, the kind you see in outdoor stadiums, and they were making all kind of noises… pretty much the whole night. I slept through it all, I must be getting immune to noise! The water was back on this morning, but it doesn’t really bother us much, in the previous day, knowing about the cut-off, we had filled up our fresh water tank and were disconnected from the grid.
 
This morning I read a blog that really make me laugh… I didn’t take it as a religious vendetta of any kind, I just read it as a light opinion that has nothing to do with my own, but interesting never the less. So the warning is given and you can read the blog by clicking HERE.

 

 

8 comments:

  1. Psst, psst, there are FIVE dice not six. So it's 1/6 * 1/6 * 1/6 * 1/6 * 1/6. Which means a probability of 1 on 7776 instead of 1 on 46656.

    Which of course is the same probability of getting any other specific combination with 5 dice. :D

    Still impressive though!

    - WWE is a CURRENT Statistics Canada employee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, look! The die are forming a smiley face! :D

      - Hairy Toes, who does not do statistics

      Delete
    2. I can see it too! It's so beautiful!

      - WWE

      Delete
    3. Thanks WWE to point out my mistake (I was using the computer calculator and must have hit the times 6 one too many time).

      You are almost right but the odds are 1 to 7775.

      Yesterday we played dice again... André score a perfect one's on the dice... it was his second time in the week! What are the odds of that!

      Delete
    4. The dice are NOT smilling... pleaaaase say NO to drug haha

      Delete
  2. ...also, shouldn't winning exactly 4 games out of 5 should have higher odds? You didn't mention any specific order of winning. :D

    So you could achieve that win/loss record with :
    WWWWL
    WWWLW
    WWLWW
    WLWWW
    LWWWW

    Giving you a 5/1024 probability of winning 4 out of 5 games. Right?

    So...um... am I getting any birthday gifts this year? The odds that I love you very much remain 100%!!!!!!! I swear! :D

    - WWE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait! No! The odds that you lose are stronger than the odds that you win so...3/4 probability of losing on any one game so... multiply by... wait divide... um... I'm confused! Let's go with what you posted! :D

      - WWE

      Delete
    2. Dear ConfusedInMoncton,

      I don't have my statistic book with me and I knew that somethins was not right about my calculation... but since this is not a blog about stat, I decide to go with a simple formula rather then getting into complex calculation (that I would probably get wrong anyway).

      Delete