Tagline

This is not an express route. Where ever my mind travels to, the blog will ride shotgun.
This journey is mainly fuelled by humour!

Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

It’s not you, it’s you!

Yesterday 2 unrelated occurrences happened… I was chatting via Facebook with someone. Martha from (Plowing Through Life) posted a comment and joined our blog. To me both are connected.
Even though I am French Canadian, I am much more comfortable writing in English.  However, yesterday I was writing to a friend on Facebook and I made a mistake.
I wrote: “I don't know how to be depress... maybe you don't know how to be happy!”. Usually I write something and then I review it before sending to make sure it reflects my thoughts. Unfortunately I forgot that with Facebook chat, if you press ‘enter’ it sends your statement… ahhhhh
I am not kidding, I felt bad all day…  If I had reviewed my statement it would have been something like: “I don't know how to be depressed... maybe there are people who don't know how to be happy!” I just don’t have the skills and insights for telling people how they are feeling and why. I am really sorry.
‘You’ is a pronoun I have problem with in English. In French, there is 2 “you”, the first one –tu- is when you address one particular person, the second one –vous- is when you address 2 or more persons (there is something else but it’s irrelevant for this French lesson :)). So when I write, I always review the ‘You’ and its context!
Time to bring back Martha! She is living in Kingston, this is an awesome town about 100 miles south of Ottawa. To my wife and I, it’s the last place where we lived in 2 different barracks, while we were singles! We got married right after we left Kingston. My English abilities were limited to a few words.
Cases in point: Once in a while, I would order pizza, to be delivered to the women’s barrack where men were allowed to be present in the basement.  There were tables, a shuffle board and a tv room.  I was not allowed to go to her room… (I’m NOT saying I didn’t go ha ha ha). We never knew if we would get the pizza or not, I could place the order but I couldn’t understand what the answer was. I couldn’t confirm if they understood where I wanted it delivered or even if they understood my thickly-French-accent order.
Even going to McDonald was a challenge! In French, glace means ice… I would forget about this and order a coke without glass… I was so proud of myself to be able to order in a foreign language until I looked at my wife-to-be who was laughing at me… I was just not getting any sympathy from that girl!
I was not the only one having trouble in English… once, a few of us from class went to McDonald (at the time there was only 1 McDo in Kingston) and one of the guy didn’t know what  “Anything else?”, means so after he ordered: “One Big Mac, One fry and a coke”, the cashier asked: “Anything else?”, “One Big Mac, One fry and a coke” he repeated, and again for 4 or 5 more times, the cashier was starting to look at him with question marks!  Finally, someone else from our class told him what she mean “Anything else?” meant. We all had a good laugh!   
The worst thing when learning a new language is when you are so proud of using the right word in a sentence and to find out you were way off…
One of our first English speaking friend couple were Keith and Pam.  One night we were at home and it was only the 2 of us and we had nothing to do… there was a knock at our door, it was Keith asking us if we had anything planned, they had leased a movie (on Beta) and they invited us to watch it with them. “YES!” was our instant answer.
At the end of the evening, as we were leaving and I told them: “Thank you very much, it was a really boring evening!”. They just looked at me.  Christiane who was standing behind me came to my help (I think), said: “WHAT?”. I didn’t know there was any thing wrong. I was so proud of having said exactly what I meant! I repeated: “Thank you very much, it was a really boring evening!” Now my dear wife is laughing and I’m thinking that MAYBE I did a small mistake here, I reviewed it in my head… “boring” that’s the right word – Check, “Thank you very much”  that’s a polite sentence to use in social context – Check, “was” it’s the past tense of “is” – Check – but wrong past tense! It should have been… “Thank you very much, it would have been a really boring evening!” Darn!
One more example no one asked? Well yes I do have another one… Years later we were shopping at a computer store and I was buying an inexpensive item. The cashier asked me: “Would you like our membership card?”. I was starting to be pretty confident in my ability by then… so I answered quickly: “No I’m not a frigging customer!”. My dear wife who was beside me, turned around and said: “WHAT?”.  “No I’m not a frigging customer!” annoyed me answered… and now she is laughing, the poor cashier does not understand what is happening, and to tell you the truth, neither do I… “What is wrong?” I’m trying to ask. When Christiane was finally able to stop laughing, she explained to me that it’s not “frigging” but “frequent” that I wanted to say… Who would have guessed there is a difference between “frigging” and “frequent”? Not that I hold a grudge, but I think it’s the last time I shopped with my wife and the last time I went shopping to that frequent store :)!
Today my wife is getting blood work done and tomorrow we are back in cancer land for the first chemo “threat-ment”… I don’t know when will be the next post as I might be losing my proof reading gal and I will be back in my nurse uniform! :(  (comment from Christiane: the uniform fits him real nice :).  I’ll add one more sample of “Lost in Translation”; in his very last sentence, Richard had written: “I might be loosing my read-proofing-gal” WHAT! :) )

11 comments:

  1. I too feel more secure writing and even talking in English now although I have a French accent. There are a lot of new words that didn't exist when I was speaking French and I have the AcadianFrench which is half English anyway and I have no idea what they mean in French.

    Richard, you need to put some pictures on your blog. Half the fun of reading the blog is looking at the pictures.

    Good luck to Christiane on her first chemo tomorrow.

    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci Julia Christiane is ready for tomorrow.

    Our daughter Julie is taking up quite an Acadian vocabulary now... for 2 years, she attended Shippagan university and has been working for 3 years now in Moncton! I always enjoy the Acadian accent... it is music to my ears :)!

    I have been reading blogs for a long time and I know picture are really important, I just had so much content to tell that I didn't think I should added a longer post with pictures, but yes I will started posting pictures soon I just need to 'chercher pour' ha ha ha For the non-french speaking people... 'chercher pour' is an Acadian expression that is the direct translation of to look for!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that friend was me… lol and I thought nothing of it … and I loved reading that you don't know how to be depressed…. as I said… that's very damn cool..

    and, further … you're probably right… I don't know how to be happy… maybe I don't. You felt bad? huh? well, why didn't you say something…. you can always talk to me about whatever … Julia sure does! I don't need to be around 'yes' people.

    I'm plowing through life too and just take one ol day at a time … each of us has our own life challenges … it's how we deal with them that counts and I'm wide open to any suggestions … cause I sure as hell don't have any answers… just finding a smile a day sometimes is an honorable quest! ha

    LOve the interaction as I said on your previous post … of you fellow Canadians! how interesting…

    losing you proof reading gal? oh…. hello Christiane ;) I think about you daily … and wish you well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn I was trying to protect your privacy… :)

      I really take responsibility seriously; writing to me is a serious matter. My messages are of hope and love of life, but I’m no doctor Phil. My style and my way of living are dominate by humour. I would rather go to McDo with a smiling cashier than go to a fancy well repute restaurant where the server look like their cat just die and you are imposing on them… and I know that it is my choice, some people might rather go to the fancy restaurant and eat a good meal. I don’t judge one place better than the next one, neither judging the people attending those places. What I’m really trying to say is that I know what make me happy and I go there. I don’t know what make other people happy… and maybe there happiness is not express with a smile, maybe having their tummy full of the fancy food bring a smile to their spirit… I don’t know!

      I do believe every one has the ability of being happy… what I wrote make me feel bad because it seems that I was judging you as you Carolyn didn’t know how to be happy… it’s untrue, on your blog, you kept giving us days after days things that make you happy. You can be stress at time with things you have no control over but, to me, I see more happiness in your life. Now that is my Dr Phil opinion…

      I felt bad but I went right back to one of my happy place… writing! I wrote today blog last night and I love it (if you allow me to be conceited this one time).

      Well look at that my comment it's almost as lengthy as this post :)

      I would send you warm hugs but it’s freezing over her, so just some hugs for now!

      Delete
    2. LOL… just to clarify … we were private messaging each other on Facebook. You sent me a message asking me something … and I wrote back answering as well as remarking about how … well, here's a bit of what I wrote….

      I feel guilty when I get 'down' about my situation when I see how you and Christiane are dealing with such a life changing situation and that depresses me that I'm depressed and you and she have such great attitudes! and I'm a sissy wimp!

      then you wrote back …. this is just an excerpt…

      ….I'll say that with all respect but I don't know how to be depress... maybe you don't know how to be happy! It is in every one, and like Julia said, let's do it one day at the time and enjoy that gift! ……

      I was not offended whatsoever … I wrote back … HAa we were talking about making paragraphs … shit + return… and you addressed that and I responded along with this ….

      …..I'm glad you don't know how to be depressed... that's very damn cool .... ….

      You wrote back and said thank you … and I wrote back and said … you're welcome…

      That's the last of this until I read your post this morning…. I had forgotten all about it.

      If it bothered you …. I don't know why you didn't write back and say … you didn't mean whatever …. LOL

      and I would have said… huh? ….

      so … now… I'm not offended …. I would have told you immediately if you had written me…

      Can't believe it bothered you that much yesterday … mercy me… but thank you and pass the peas…. please, Dr. Phil … ;)

      I'll take a hug though ... coldern a well digger's butt around heah! translate THAT to French... HAHaaaaa

      Delete
    3. uh ... that's shiFt + return... HAHaaaaa... oh me...

      Delete
  4. I remember one time when we were talking and I had a good chuckle over the way you pronounced hassle (once I realized what you were saying). I'm English and even I have problems! Ask June how I pronounced sarcophagus when I was in my 20s hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine I definitevly told you, you have an accent!!! I can't ask June... I just talk to people that are my friend on Facebook ha ha ha

      Delete
  5. Hahaha...I really enjoyed this post. Well, I think it's great that you don't know how to be depressed! Languages are funny. What sounds right in one can come off as insulting in another. But we have to bear that in mind. People don't mean to offend; their translation is sometimes wrong. My parent's first language was Greek (my mother came to Canada from Greece in 1957 and my father came in 1960), and let me tell you, I've heard my fair share of silly translations that made heads turn...hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I also meant to wish good luck to your wife! I wish her well.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Martha, I know Christiane appreciate all good wishes... but for her, good luck would be if they don't find drugs tomorrow to shoot her with...

      My daughters first language is Geek, I just hope they don't read the comments ha ha ha

      I think to learn another language, you have to be immune to be ridicule, it's part of the fun! My father was Irish and speak more in English than french, and when you live in Quebec city, it can complicate your life a bit. He left (that is the official version) when I was six, so I didn't learn anything from that side of the family.

      Delete