Tagline

This is not an express route. Where ever my mind travels to, the blog will ride shotgun.
This journey is mainly fuelled by humour!

Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Good time in Italy!



As you might notice, the appearance of my blog has drastically improved. It was done by an expert who offered a free consultation to re-design it as a birthday gift. Please let me know if you see anything that could be improved.



I like to thank this expert who happens to be my very own daughter Caroline :)





Honey did I have too much Vino?
  

Leaning at the top of the leaning tower!
 While serving in the military, Christiane and I spent a lot of time in Italy. We attended several courses at the NATO school located at an Italian base in Latina, which is between Rome and Naples.

St-Peter Square in Rome

Vesuvius - Naples is between the volcano and the Mediterranean Sea
In the spring of 1983, we had driven from Germany to Italy to attend one of those courses. The course was about crypto Equipment, so I can’t tell you much about it. It was in a part of the school that was secured and no one could go in without their valid ID card. Before starting class, a teacher would come out and get us. We would be waiting in the hallway until the door opened.

Those were great courses! We couldn’t take any study material out, so we never had any homework to do!

One Friday afternoon, we were told we would be given a test first thing Monday morning.

At the time, we were staying in an Italian hotel downtown Latina. I don’t remember much about the weekend but I remembered that Sunday we decided to go and have supper at the restaurant in the hotel. When we walked in the restaurant, the place was unusually empty. Our Italian language skill was pretty much limited to shopping and ordering food. So we ate and went back to our room.

View from our hotel room in Latina
 Monday morning, we drove to school, when we got to the waiting area in the hallway; we were the ONLY ones there.  We were confused as we usually were the first ones there. “Where is everyone?” we were asking ourselves. We rang the bell to gain access to the secured classrooms and found out that this particular weekend happened to be the spring time change… the time had moved ahead by one hour! grrrrr

Small Italian fishing village between Latina and Naples

Inside the coliseum in Rome, lucky for us... No lion!

9 comments:

  1. Fun fact: we can't watch movies or TV shows with our beloved parents, without them constantly saying "Oh, we've been there!!!". They've been EVERYWHERE.

    - WWE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear WWE, not only that but... we see everything you are up to bhouhahaha

      Delete
  2. Uh-oh... Well, that didn't go well :) And what happened after that? You're not finishing your story, and we are now curious! Hahaha...

    Wow, Italy! I am so envious. That is definitely an area in Europe that I would love to visit --- and photograph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I love the new look for your blog! I forgot to mention that above.

      Delete
    2. Martha since you ask... After our walk of shame in the classroom, the teacher at first didn't believe us, what did they expect, you are in a foreign country, you don't understand the language, you can't read the newspaper, watched TV or listen to radio... We were test later in the day! ouf!!!

      When we were going on those trips, we had a Canon 35 mm but as you see on the post pictures, they are fading away. I restored a lot with the help of my scanner program but it is still pretty bad quality! Considering they were taken 30 years ago... love digital camera :)

      I don't want to add to your envy but to get to Italy we drove through Switzerland... now that was picture perfect!

      Thanks for the compliment, I think everyone should have a web designer/programer in their family! Caroline is into photography and the header picture is one of hers!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Welcome Mildred always a great surprise and pleasure to see someone new joining our little blogger family :)

      Yes we are blessed with wonderful daughters, they joined our life over a quarter century ago and I think we won't trade them! hahaha

      Delete
  4. Hahaha... That's a good one Richard.
    I like to be punctual.
    Yesterday, Saturday I was preparing dinner for 4 people, the hired hands, my husband and myself. I had everything ready and all that needed to be done was to turn the stove on at the right time so everything would be ready at 12:00 noon...

    At 11:25 am, my husband and the boys walked in. I said, dinner is nor ready yet and you guys are early. It's only 11:25. No it's not my husband said, Eh!!! OMG, my kitchen clock must have stopped. The clock in the family room said 12:25 pm. The time on the oven said 11:25, the one on the kitchen wall said 11:25, the one on the microwave said 11:25, my phone said 11:25........

    I asked "Did you changed the time on the clock in the family room? "Yes he said. I changed it last night. I heard it on the radio that the time was changing".
    We had a good laugh and I sigh a sign of relief and the boys had to wait for 20 minutes for a delicious hot meal.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha this is the kind of situation that seems to always be attracted to me!

      A funny things happen… I knew you had post this comment on the Italy post, this morning I wrote a post about Goodbye…

      I had some time available and want to come back to your comment to response. I used the previous button at the bottom of the Goodbye post. This should have brought me to the Italy post. It did not! It was something I didn’t write, I thought Blogger messed up somehow, but by reading the header line, it had “Richard”! my thoughts were how did they do that? Finally, it was a post written by Christiane for me. If I didn’t move to the previous post, it might have taken me a long time to notice :)

      Hugs from us

      Delete