Tagline

This is not an express route. Where ever my mind travels to, the blog will ride shotgun.
This journey is mainly fuelled by humour!

Pages

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Timely letter


Mr/Mrs Government,

Tomorrow we are collectively going to move ahead… by an hour. In 9 months, we are moving back by an hour… next spring we are moving ahead by an hour… RIDICULOUS!

This traveling clock was first adopted to replace artificial lighting so we could save fuel for the war effort against Germany during World War I… You might not look at the news much but that war is over!

There are many countries, states and one province in Canada that are not manipulating their clock twice a year… why not us?  

In my case, this back and forth has happened 108 times… I don’t remember the first few times but I’m sure to my mom it must have been infuriating to explain to her infant son he has to sleep one more or one less hour before getting his milk because of this non-sense! 

What would happen if we kept the clock from jumping back and forth?
Would the economy suffer?
Would our country fall in the ocean?
Would the sun stop for an hour to make sure we are on the right time?

For this instance, I will be the one making a promise, whoever pledges to stop this twice-a-year-time-travelling will get my vote in the next election!

I don’t really care about any other issues because you are putting your spin on them.  But if you think about it, to unwind this change would cost nothing, and while you debate this issue for several days you will not be miss-managing the economy, so it will be a win-win situation.

I would have time-stamped this letter… but once it is stamped there is no back and forth!

On time, yours truly,

Richard

9 comments:

  1. Ah Richard, the first thing that came to mind when I opened my eyes at 5:30 this morning was "Oh God, I wish I had one more hour to sleep this morning and then I remember that the time to change our clock is here. I left the clock unchanged in my bedroom and in the office just to make me feel good , knowing that I still have an hour to play with. On Sunday when I open my eyes, I hope I remember to that it's later than I think.

    For us farmers, the animal have to gradually adjust to the time change. Love the cow cartoon by the way.

    Have a good weekend.
    Hugs to both of you.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw the cartoon, I thought about you… I’m glad you enjoyed it!

      I’m a morning person, so getting up at 5:30 is not a problem; I don’t even need an alarm clock!

      Maybe I shouldn’t tell you but, I was working at Statistic Canada… I was a programmer the survey I worked on was the telephone type of survey.

      Once I worked on an agriculture survey (I’m sure you seen/receive and got call about them). The development was really late and we would do as much overtime as possible. I was coming to work around 3:00 AM, this is when I’m the most productive. This was a great time because there was no one around needing to meet or call or sending email. I would start my day and send email to the chief of the survey and you know what happen, I got a response right away… hahaha

      Hugs back from us Julia

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh, there were MORE of you awake at 3am??? I always assumed you were all alone at work when you did that!

      - WWE

      Delete
  2. Morning, Richard and Julia ;)

    hate loathe and despise DST ... silly ... no sense to it and I've ranted many times about it.

    But Julia... aren't you more on a .... sunup to sundown kind of clock? Animals sure as hell don't know what time it is ... Why would you have to set your clock. I'd keep my bedside clock ... on regular time .. hiss on the DST. hiss onnit

    To show you my geography ignorance.... is Ron Ford either of your Mayor? That boy is keeping our late night talk show hosts in fine joke fodder.

    It's a gorgeous day here! about time! Here's to a stellar day ... !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Carolyn,

      Ron Ford is the Toronto mayor; Julia and I are out of that circus. Toronto is about 50 miles north of Buffalo, Julia in New-Brusnwick is 840 miles east, I’m 240 miles north East and you are just a little over 1060 miles South West. Anyway, what a clown!

      We are going to have a nice day too… it is just at the freezing point hahaha you would say it’s cold.

      The DST is such a stupidity... is there anyone that is fot it?

      Have a great week-end

      Delete
  3. I live on the west coast of Canada and already we don't get enough light. Changing the clocks make it so much worse. We need that hour of light at the end of the day, not the beginning!

    Love the cows! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour and welcome,

      I am so glad you join; from time to time now I will be able to say a little birdie told me… ;)

      It’s not only plants that need light it is also crucial for us. If I had my choice, I would leave it to day light saving time; it seems that getting sun later in the day would be so much more beneficial.

      My wife and I were in Vancouver 2 years ago… loved it!

      Delete
  4. I'm with you on this, Richard! I think we should quit this nonsense and LEAVE the clock alone. My preference, of course, would be the extra hour of daylight at the end of the day. I think that's when we need it most. So after this weekend's change when the daylight is around a little longer in the evening, let it be the last time we do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, are you suggesting that we do a civic desobeissance? I will be so for that! I agree with you, it is much better to have the extra hour add at the end of the afternoon, everyone would appreciate, I’m sure.

      Delete