Tagline

This is not an express route. Where ever my mind travels to, the blog will ride shotgun.
This journey is mainly fuelled by humour!

Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Hunting alligator

One of the fearless hunter in hot pursuit!
The green Croc I'm wearing are to prevent noise and on top of that they are camouflaged!
 
Sunday, Nov 12th

Saturday evening, we had planned with André & Jo to go to the flea market in Fort Myers. It opens at 09:00, so we had decided that we would leave at 08:30. When it was time to go, I looked in our truck and Jo was already quietly sitting there . I’m not sure but she might have spent the night there, afraid that we would try to sneak out without her :-).

The flea market is a good size and we finally found a bag of Bungees cords. I also scored on 3 books by Nelson Demille. He is my favorite author so I’m trilled! I paid $1. per book… now that’s a bargain!
Bungee anyone?

Christiane bought a decal for the window and a magnet thingy for the screen for the trailer… I agree with you, it's not as exciting as my finds!
We didn’t buy anything for our girls, they just don’t like surprise!

We were close to Camping World, so we had to go there as well. My wife – the shower bum- wanted to buy a curtain rod that could extend the space of the shower. I’m posting a picture, it will be easier to see then to explain. On this improvement, I’ll have to agree with her (a first in my life hahaha), it really is making a difference! She might have problems getting me out of there now :-)
 
This way it leaves more room when you are sitting...
Do I need to say more?
Now you get extra space in the shower!
Almost enough for 2 persons hahaha
In the afternoon, after so much excitement, it was time to go back to my book.

For supper we ate at “The Cheesecake Factory”. Every time we drove by, Jo was pointing it at us.  It took me 2 weeks, but I got the hint! I thought they were only selling cheese cake… it’s a restaurant! Christiane and I had Salisbury steak and to be reasonable, we shared a Chocolate Coconut Cream Cheesecake (Sorry Julie no picture of that!).  (Note from Christiane: Here you go Julie, I added a link to a picture ... http://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/menu/Cheesecake/chocolate_coconut_cream_cheesecake)

Coming back from the restaurant, it was dark, usually with people of a certain age hahaha, when it’s dark they want to go back home. But André and Jo wanted to walk at “The Village”. This is a place where there are shops by the river.  It was really safe… being Sunday, after supper, all the shop were closed :-), I didn’t need to open my really thin wallet at all!. It was really special, we were in shorts, the palm trees were decorated with lights, at one of the restaurant there are lights in the river and you can see a lot of fishes swimming, about a foot long, (pleeeeease don’t ask me the specie, if it is not in Costco, in a well identified package, I have NO clue! ).

There was also a nice fountain with different color lights projecting from the ground right where the water was coming out, one light per stream.  If you timed the streams well, you could probably walk across the fountain without getting wet… I'll wait for another time to do this :-)

 
Monday, Nov 13th

Monday was the beginning of hunting season. We drove to the Everglades, and found and shot one alligator. André spotted the Gator in the river, I walked as silently as I could, I aimed, and BANG… we had our very own wild gator picture! A few minutes later, Christiane using OUR new camera, also shot the alligator. The new camera being so much better than the old one, the picture posted are from it… it has NOTHING to do with my hunter skills…
This is NOT photoshoped!
Our new friend was a little shy... he (could be a "she" we didn't turn it around to see) just stayed on the bank on the opposite side of the river

We also saw several fishes, they seemed like they were over a feet long.
Can you see the fish?
I am the ONLY one that shot a fish and that is using the old camera!
Mad skill at best!
The everglades turned out to be like everything I've seen in documentaries and movies. It is mostly swamp, with small pounds and rivers crossing here and there. I find it surreal to see trees' root coming out of the water.




Driving back, we took a road that had high fences to keep panthers away. We didn’t see any, however, we saw a dead wolf with all kind of very big buzzard feeding on it (I am writing this and we haven’t had breakfast yet… I report everything… YERK!).

Talking about feeding… for supper we got a pizza from Papa John’s… this was the best we had so far (the first too).

On the home front... We booked planes tickets for the holidays. We will be flying back for 3 weeks, from Tampa. We are praying for a warm front to follow us from Florida!

We also reserved a camping in Tampa for January and February. We will be driving there December 14th and store the trailer at our camping.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Mom got me some food photos! Thanks mawmaw! And thanks pawpaw for not giving out photos of the buzzard's food! You're very considerate of your blog readers.

    I am bringing over so many books at Christmas that you will need to buy a third plane seat!

    - WWE

    ReplyDelete
  2. An honest-to-goodness REAL alligator! That's AWESOME!

    I sure hope ya'll brought some winter coats with you to Florida, because you're going to need them when visiting in December! Brrr!

    -Hairy Toes

    ReplyDelete