Tagline

This is not an express route. Where ever my mind travels to, the blog will ride shotgun.
This journey is mainly fuelled by humour!

Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Socially Speaking (30 Shades of Christmas – 7)



“It’s not what you do that is important; it’s the lies you have to tell!”
Krissie Kringle

You know you have hit rock bottom when you have to create your own quote to open a delicate subject!



One of my least favourite questions is: “What do you do for a living?” How on earth am I supposed to answer that one? I lie!

I’ll spare you the details but before World War I, I answered:
-         Husband hunter.  Oups it reminds me I have to go check my traps.
-         Child Bearer, but I’m between jobs right now!
-         Nothing! but my husband has a farm, Mr OldMcDonald do you know him?
-         One depressing time, I just said grave digger, boy did the room become quiet real fast!

During WW II, I decided to be cute and gave a lot of details… “I work at Big Bang Bomb factory. John my boyfriend has been deployed over-sea, when he returns we will get married.”


I got a speedy course in lying right there and then; “My cousin Rachel also work for Big Bang, she never mentioned you!” said the social butterfly lady.

“I never mentioned her either, is there more wine?” trying-to-change-the-subject me answered.

“As far as I know, John has been wounded and is back at his parents’ house, haven’t you gone to see him?” persisting-lie-detector asked.


“Did you hear John? I said Jon!” Apology-sounding me said.

“Jon is not from around here. Sorry, I have to go to the ladies room, where is it?” Hoping it’s an out house and I can get away me answered.

“It’s the door on your left; I also need to go to powder my nose…” Can’t-get-rid-of-her answered.

When we entered the bathroom, I had a plan. I’ll sit on the toilet, make a lot of noise and wait for the powder nosier to be gone, and then just climb out the window.

I am not an engineer but when we entered the room, I knew my plan had failed. There was NO window!

Why can I be so stealthy for one night of the year and so visible the rest of the time?

Don’t worry there was a plan B. I told her: “Oh my gosh, I just remembered I forgot to put the safety cap on the last bomb I assembled, I have to go…”

“Wait, wait” I heard behind me.   

What I learned about lying is that you don’t give specific, you shut your mouth as soon as possible and you always know where the exits are.

With age comes wisdom. Sometimes I just reverse the question and aggressively ask: “What do YOU do for a living?” It put the person on the defensive and it deflects the conversation to them.

My latest answer is I’m unemployed and live under a bridge.
“Which bridge?” You-may-not-ask.

To be continued…

6 comments:

  1. Why not just answer what you truly do? No one will believe you thinking you're delusional. They'll look at you funny and then leave you alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hum tell the true... maybe I should try that someday LOL

      Krissie

      Delete
  2. Should be an easy question to handle now. "I'm a web developer for a startup -- we're launching next year..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much information,,, I cab see so many times where I would be back in a corner on that one! Thanks for the suggestion.

      Krissie

      Delete
  3. That's great advice, Santa! I'm going to start telling lies all over the place. :D

    - Hairy Toes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are already border line... on the true. I notice.

      Krissie

      Delete