Tagline

This is not an express route. Where ever my mind travels to, the blog will ride shotgun.
This journey is mainly fuelled by humour!

Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Long day and Sandy

Club house at Al Sihah Shrine Park, Macon, Georgia

This morning Georgia was not on my mind, the east coast was! As projected, Sandy has touched land and sent its destructive fingers all over the East coast. As I type this, Millions are without electricity. Water seems to have taken over cities, houses burned down… My heart is with those that are dealing with this storm of the century!

Yesterday morning (Oct 29th) when I got up, it was 10 C. (50 F.), in the trailer. We don’t mind the cold… when we are in the comfort of our bed under our duvet but when we get up, a little warmth is really appreciated. It doesn’t take long to warm up our  140 square foot home, and while I was waiting for the heater to do its magic, I made my coffee.

At 08:15 we had our breakfast, got the trailer ready for the road, filled up the fresh water tank, emptied the grey and black tanks, itched the trailer, and drove away from Baileyton RV park. It was 5 C. (41 F.) outside, brrrr. There was even some snow forecasted for the near future.

While we were driving south/West, we saw a lot of utility vehicles (electricity and tree servicing) going North/East toward Sandy. They will be really busy in the following days/weeks.

Every stop we made, there was a cold wind hitting us, and even in Georgia where the outside temperature was up to 18 C. (64 F.) we needed a warm sweater.
Christiane see double at athe pumps!
We drove through Atlanta… CRAZY! -We were not there during rush hour but let me tell you that it is an experience that I was not looking forward to! At some point there was 7 lanes, cars and trucks passing left and right, merging, de-merging, oh boy, I’m sure my life has been shorten by this.  I am surprised I didn’t dream about this last night!

After 610 KM (366 Mi.), we arrived at “Al Sihah Shrine Park” around 16:00. It was a looooong drive!
Al Sihah Shrine Park, Macon, Georgia
This is what happens when I don't take a shower!

The park was empty. When we arrived, I went to the office but no one was there. I started to go on the campground and saw 2 man working, so I stopped and asked them if they were the manager and I was told no but just to go ahead, setup, someone would be coming later to collect the camping fee.

While setting up, I noticed that the water was cut off, we had plenty of water in our own tank, so we didn’t mind. When we were done, I went back to the office, to pay them but there still was nobody around, I walked back and then one of the employee I saw earlier, drove by and pointed out a person “that man is the person you are looking for!”

When I talked to him, he told me not to worry about the money, that tomorrow before leaving I just had to stop by the office and pay then. He also told me that he turned the water back on for me.

I was anxious to turn the TV on and watch what was happening with Sandy. There is no cable on our site. We have an antenna on the trailer that is good enough to get local channels… so I thought. The only channel we could get was a religious channel…
We have our Verizon gizmo, so at least we could get some news from the Internet.
 
The park is a Passport America, so the cost for a night was a reasonable $14.
Today, we are going further south, the next report should be from Florida. It will be a shorter drive. I’m sick of the highway so I might try to take secondary road.

Latest update: This is Tuesday afternoon, we just made it to Jasper Florida, I’ll talk about this tomorrow.

 
      

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, I got our email... I hope you guys don't get kidnapped! lol... great blog. i will flow you and Richard... your former work neibhour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seven lanes???????? Whuuuuuuuuuuut? How does that even work?

    - WWE

    ReplyDelete