Tagline

This is not an express route. Where ever my mind travels to, the blog will ride shotgun.
This journey is mainly fuelled by humour!

Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Still going south


Redford Virginia

I woke up around 4:00, it is not an unusual occurrence for me, I'm the early bird, I just don't care about the worm :-). Having nothing to do, I went into the Flying J to see what it was all about. I was surprised to hear messages like: “Your pizza is ready!” and “Shower 12 is ready”. It was 4 am but looking at the activities taking place at the time, it could have been 5 pm, it was just like in an airport, business going on 24 hours a day!

My main goal was to purchase a Next Exit book. This is an awesome reference when you are travelling on US interstates. It gives you what is available at each exit, the distance, the exit number, where the rest areas are, and where you can empty your RV tanks. When we are on the road, my wife keeps it close by.

 

 
My wife being a lazy bum woke up at the outrageous hour of 06:00, joined me at Denny’s for breakfast (this line might not make it through her proof reading of the blog… we’ll see).

After a good breakfast, under a blue sky, we hit the 81 South again.

We had no idea of the surprises that were waiting… We crossed from Pennsylvania to Virginia and let me tell you that it was a spectacular ride… We were following a range of mountain and each hill brought us an awesome view. We also saw some farms where the picket fences went on for miles! We passed some Amish buggies; they were on a road parallel to the interstate (this really helps to boost out truck ego). Sorry no pictures of this, you'll have to take my words...

We knew that Jo and André were to spend the night at Redford in Virginia. So we decided to join them. We made it to their camping at 16:00. The weather was in the twenties Celsius (68 Fahrenheit) and I posted this picture on Facebook to tease people at home.

 

 
The camping itself is not too great, you are right under the I-81 and there is a lot of noise. It used to be $12 with the 50% discount Passport America and that was ok for a one night stop on the way to Florida.  Unfortunately they dropped from that program so now the price (with tax) is $29.96 and in my opinion is too expensive for what turns out to be a parking under a major highway. It’s by a river so if you are a fisherman, it could be ok.

Not too crowdy, but in the shade of the I-81

Total distance today: 515 KM (309 Miles)

      

 

 

1 comment:

  1. It's RANDOM PHOTO REVIEW TIME:
    Top photo is sooo pretty. I can't even tell if that's a reflection or a weird line of fog though?

    Second photo: Excellent staging. We now know what the Last Exit book looks like AND we get a tantalizing glimpse of a beautiful thumb!

    Third photo: CAN IT BE? My handsome father wearing... short sleeves. Sorry ladies, it is not THAT kind of blog.

    Last photo: the majestic I-81 towers over your new home. Magnificent!

    - WWE

    ReplyDelete