Tagline

This is not an express route. Where ever my mind travels to, the blog will ride shotgun.
This journey is mainly fuelled by humour!

Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Next stop... 53

I have been reading blogs for at least 10 years. I enjoyed all kinds, but one type that always draws closer my attention is the one where the persons start their retirement journey at the same time than they start fulltiming.

My wife and I start thinking about joining that fulltimer lifestyle about 4-5 years ago. When we started talking about it, we were thinking about going to a place, stay 3-4 days, move, stay another 3-4 days and so on. We wanted to “cram” as much as we could… and I can read others doing exactly that. For example, I am following the journey of Trent and Teresa since October. They retired in September and I can see that they are doing a lot of moving. I think it is normal, it will take time to slow down enough that the boss can’t find us anymoreJ. My umbrella’s mind is set now to get somewhere and spend at least a month visiting/exploring.

If we want to maximize the benefits from our pension, we should retire at 60. This will guaranty the trailer/motorhome of our choice (no need to compromise). We would have investments, security, and no penalty on our pensions.

We decide to retire at 53 because we will have better time quality for longer than if we had wait. We won’t be rich but we will be comfortable. I say that but it all depend of your own definition of rich and comfortable; For me being rich it is when you don’t need to worry about how you will pay for an item that you don’t even need. Being comfortable is when you can afford to fill up your fridge and the gas tank, go to restaurant once in a while, attend some events, pay for some outing, etc. You need a budget, but in the comfortable group, it is one that is manageable.

I read a lot of examples of other people with a lot of courage, they just go, no security, no pension check coming in every month, no health care, no nothing, they just go. Even reading them, I knew this was not for me, I like my security, I have responsibilities (a cat to feds). I always admire them, and when you read their blog, it’s not about starving, it’s not about things they miss, it’s about their journey, the ownership they have on their life, none ever regret!

Those were amazing inspiration to me. It is the reason, I decided to retire early. If a solo woman, a cowboy and a couple without any experience in RVing did it, why wouldn’t we do it with a little less security?


6 comments:

  1. And with our daughters visiting us during the Christmas holidays, us spending the summers at our camping, and the benefit of Skyping all year round, we shouldn't be homesick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Qui veut voyager loin menage sa monture. La monture etant notre corps, il vaut mieux prendre plus de temps pour bien visiter et laisser a notre cerveau et notre corps le temps de digerer avant d'en absorber d'autres. Et faire comme l'histoire du jeune et du vieux bouc:Non fiston, on va y aller lentement et on va toutes les sauter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Un instant, c'est bien trop sage comme commentaire... pour moi quelqu'un a trafiqué le compte de rving viking ha ha. Juste une chose que je me demande, après que le ti-vieux et le jeune bouc, on sauté... toutes les clotures, y font quoi?

      Delete
  3. Je ne peut pas donner les explications que tu demandes car je sais qu'il y a de jeunes yeux qui lisent ton blog......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your attitude is stellar. Being comfortable is all we need.

    People who wait until everything is 'right' ... usually end up either dead or their children take it all ... ;) ... before living their dream.

    ReplyDelete