Tagline

This is not an express route. Where ever my mind travels to, the blog will ride shotgun.
This journey is mainly fuelled by humour!

Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Heavy breathing

I’m starting to write without knowing the destination. Being a programmer, everything must be structured… I’m out of my comfort zone!

"Nothing is exactly what’s gonna happen… if nothing is what you do!" – Unknown

One more quote I have on my wall at work. I keep all kind of material to stay motivated… but it doesn’t work. I am just getting too close to the end of my working life to get into ‘enjoying’ the challenges provided at the office. I used to be involved, for the longest time I was the ‘master’ of the canteen. Ha ha just trying to find a title for the guy that was going and buying chips, pops and candy bar. Haven’t been that involved for decades.

I have seen some colleagues, close to retirement, starting to act differently. At the time, I asked myself –What is that all about? If you are not married to your work, no matter how much you enjoy it, you will change. Your priority system just switches to ‘you’ and not to the ‘organisation’. It’s normal, I think, but what do I know about normal ahah! For too long work came first… often neglecting what was good for me. The younger workers today are more in tune with their own need – Good for them!

Our union is in negotiation, and I don’t care. For me, they could just sign anything, it will not change much as far as my retirement goes. As long as, I’m not asked to go out (it’s freaking cold out!), they can sign anything they want (or anything they can). Of course, I’m not looking at the next 20 years or so…

I think I am learning to breathe… (if I was allowed… I'd say "smell the coffee" :). I learned that if something is late and you did your best… you did your best! There is NO need to stress about it. In my case, the panic button has been removed! At one time, I almost had a break down. At that time, the more I tried to get ahead the deeper I got and the slower I became. Breathe Richard Breathe! Once I had a couple of energizing breath in me, I started to move again. I also started to leave the responsibilities of everything to the right persons. Team work is not only about work! You have to share with the team. The strangest thing happened, I became more efficient. I haven’t given a hoot about deadline ever since and the funny thing is that I deliver on time.

I know that we all have a special gift; you just have to find out what your gift is!  I always told my kids that the only thing I expected from them is that they do their best. I didn’t care if in school they had A, B, C , D or like me E (for Excellent ha ha). I also recognized that they each had their own individual gifts. I feel frustrated when I see a parent trying to push their kid to develop an ability that they don’t have. If you see that your child loves geography, encourage him/her whether they draw maps, they know where you are on the globe, where the rivers are, lakes, whatever.  It is so much more positive to encourage them than trying to push a subject they hate. I used Geography as an example, however, what ever they enjoy… they're going to live with themselves a lot longer than they will be with you. Just encourage them to develop their natural abilities.


If you are smiling... remember to breathe!

4 comments:

  1. I know why you picked Geography! It's because you enjoy it oh-so-much! Looking at your blog's stats to see where everyone comes from. :)

    - Caro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, You might be into something... I also know where YOU come from bouhahaha *This is my demoniac laugh*

      Delete
    2. Aaaah!!

      No intimidating the coach!

      - Caro

      Delete
  2. I am going to pick up fire breathing, please encourage me in my efforts! I think I might be able to develop this skill and finally unlock my full potential!

    - Wicked Witch not so Far to the East

    ReplyDelete