Tagline

This is not an express route. Where ever my mind travels to, the blog will ride shotgun.
This journey is mainly fuelled by humour!

Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

My Wes Side Story!


I will be using this post to practice skill and style for writing description. This is an exercise for me. I will do a little research at the same time like if we were really going on a visit. Everything will be true (been there done that). I will only improvise some of the thoughts happening along the road. I want to see if I can tell the story about event or place in a way that is good enough (to me) to post. I will appreciate any feed back or any advice that you will take the time to give me.

Yesterday morning we were really excited, we were going to Arnprior. It’s a small town of 7000 peoples; located in Ontario, about 67 Km (41 miles) west of Ottawa. There are several churches, schools and Tim Horton (Tim is a donut chain that every Canadian town of a significant size has). I could tell you more but here is something that the town of Arnprior has on their site at : http://www.arnprior.ca/

Right on the doorstep of the nation's capital, Arnprior is a community with so much to offer, whether you are visiting or planning to stay. 
Arnprior is the town of two beautiful rivers, your four season destination! 

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=arnprior&uname=116435006350188378799&psc=G&filter=1#5696909381293929186

This year, they will be celebrating their 150th anniversary. There should be a lot of activities coming up. By now, some of you might be thinking: “What was he excited about?”  

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=arnprior&uname=116435006350188378799&psc=G&filter=1#5696909381293929186

Because you were asking and because I can’t wait any longer to tell you: WES 

But let’s not get ahead of the story, curious you… Around 11:00, I looked outside and then told my wife: “it would be a nice day to go for a drive to Arnprior!”, she didn’t answer. I didn’t even have time to finish my statement, she was out the door. This woman can sure hurry when she has the right motivationJ.  I want to share something with all of you… it is ALWAYS a nice day to drive to Arnprior! Absolllllutly nothing to do with the day!

We decided to take our Red Ferrari, couldn’t find the key, ended up taking our Red beat up Toyota… But we were going to Arnprior, so we were still really excited.  There was little traffic, this is a good thing – I hate sharing MY road! My wife turned on the radio, we heard: “next the sport…”, I turned off the radio! I preferred to have a meaningful conversation with my love than listening to sport! (side note to myself… is sucking up working?).

After about 15 minutes, we crossed the Champlain bridge, the bridge is one of many between the provinces of Québec and Ontario. It is nothing spectacular, there are 3 lanes. In the morning, 2 lanes out of 3 are for traffic going form Québec to Ontario and at noon, they change for 2 lanes coming from Ontario and going to Québec. This makes it easy for people living in Québec and working in Ottawa to have more lanes in the morning. And, when they come back, they again have 2 lanes.

We took the ramp for the Queens way going West. This 4 lanes highway has a speed limit of 100 km (60 miles) but NO ONE, NO ONE drive the speed limit. We made it to Kanata without incident and waved at the Place Banque Scotia. This is the home of the Ottawa Senator (if we had listened to the radio, I would know if the Sens were playing tonight).

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=ottawa+paladium&uname=116435006350188378799&psc=G&filter=1#5019950800061159202

Between Kanata and Arnprior, it is farm land, nothing spectacular to see. Half way through, there was that sweet smell of… manure in the air! I told you it was farmland, what did you expect? Christiane had tears in her eyes… remembering her childhood at the farm (NOT true!)

We finally reached our destination. I was so excited that I missed the right turn and ended up going into Arnprior Central. I was really disappointed, I could see WES from the highway, and now I had to deal with the downtown traffics. Nothing like a traffic rush in a small town… That was 2 cars, luckily, both parked at Tim Horton!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=tim+horton&uname=116435006350188378799&psc=G&filter=1#5398485968046216994
Every one in town knows about WES, it’s the town’s best kept secret; I might face justice revealing this to you on this blog… WES has the BEST fries in Canada (I should know I tried them all). If anybody in the area doesn’t know WES, it is time to get off your… granola wagon, and taste those – I have no idea what they do to them - spuds.

http://paythepiper.wordpress.com/2010/03/31/wes-chips-because-really-are-there-any-others/

The place in itself is not much to look at, it’s an old converted truck where they do magic. You eat outside at one of their picnic tables. It is well hidden in maple trees that provide good shade in summer. I saw several sign saying: “Do not feed the birds” come on now; I didn’t drive an hour to feed birds!

http://ontarioshighlands.ca/members/member/820/

This is the end of the exercice, I hope I didn’t put anyone to sleep!

If you are smiling… it’s a nice day to take a drive J


4 comments:

  1. It's not s nice day for a drive (Wes is close!) ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing pictures of a 'foreign' country....

    So you guys do the donuts and french fries too... I thought we Americans cornered the market on food that will kill us... good ain't it... love the little shack kind of places... the best!

    I would love to read and see more of your area. I have only been to the Niagara Falls side in Canada. Everyone who goes to Canada tells how beautiful it is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we have everything to kill ourself too!

      It a really good idea, I'll post about place we have been with our own pictures. If you ever come back to Canada, the place to visit is Québec city... this is my hometown, but is has been recognize by UNESCO has one of the World Heritage place. I'll post on it some other time.

      Thanks for your great idea!

      Delete