Tagline

This is not an express route. Where ever my mind travels to, the blog will ride shotgun.
This journey is mainly fuelled by humour!

Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Humourless in Ottawa

This is kind of an intervention…

Since I started blogging my days begin with me sitting at the computer, doing last tune-up to my post and then hitting the “Publish” button. Following this, I go straight to my favourite blog-her. She posts late in the evening, so I am always happy to see what she is up to. I don’t want to give her name but I’m sure she will recognize herself. She blogs about everything in her life, could be her last trip, her g’baby, her relationship… let just say that what she writes comes from a lot deeper than I ever wrote about. Often after reading it, I spend a lot of times thinking about her post. What do you want… I’m a slow thinker (can you spell introvert J)! ONE thing that I have problem with is age… this is my intervention!

I remember I was 18 or 19, my wife will also recall this, my brother Jean was 24-25 (we are 6 years apart). At the time, he was in a “low end” job… working nights getting the minimum wage. He couldn’t see an exit. He told us that he was too old and he couldn’t do anything else!!! He was gifted… he had healthy plants all over his house; aquarium where he was breeding his own fish; and birds. He could have been the best in town in either fields (pet store or florist). But in HIS mind, he was too old. It just doesn’t matter what is right in front of you, it is what you see that will get you walking! I don’t have any relationsip with members of my family, I cut that off, but the last time I saw my brother he was 37 years old. He had started a business of putting up temporary garages that he would install in the fall and take down in the spring. He was also working at the same type of business as when he was in his twenties still hating the work and he still hating the business… I’m sure that now that he is 58, nothing has changed.

Age is relative…
When I was in my twenties, I was told: wait when you will be in the thirties
When I was in my thirties, it was: wait when you will be in your forties
When I was in my forties, wait when you will be in your fifties…
I am pretty sure that if I keep listening to people, I’ll still be waiting for my hundreds! The worst is what was I waiting for?
There is a huge price to waiting: Time

To get back to my favourite blog-her, age is relative, not time! You can’t do anything about one, no magic cream yet, but time you can change the quality of it. It depends where you are looking. You can be an ‘almost’ 69 young lady and hunt down a fulfilling relationship. This relationship could be with yourself, a new one and it could also be the current one. It is your choice. You might seek one where there is tenderness, comprehension, and/or humour or work that in now. As far as time, if my theory holds true… and your mother died at 94… you might still have 30 years ahead! I am NOT judging, I don’t know what is better for anyone, most of the time; I have no clue what is better for me. I am only starting to understand that if something smells funny… it is not always coming from a clown.

She posted about consciousness earlier this week, I didn’t comment at the time, it had to go on my burner at low… but to me, consciousness is where you are controlling your sight (you might even consciously choose to keep your eyes close). If you are self-conscious, you might find everything wrong with you, but it could also mean you see all that is right! And I think that we can say the same thing about anything else…  My brother had consciously decided that he was not going any where… and he was right. There is nothing wrong with minimum wage jobs, as long as you are where you want to be! In his case, enormous waste of potential… that is heart breaking.  

I know I should wait when I'll be in my sixties...

I have this quote on my wall at work:

Make play a high priority in your life for if you die tomorrow no one can play
for you, but someone will do your work for you!!

Not sure where I took it, could be from a blog I was reading, if you recognize this quote as yours, please let me know, I will gladly give you credit. Meanwhile, a little Pink Floyd... 

Time

Ticking away the moments
That make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours
In the off-hand way

Kicking around on a piece of ground
In your home town
Waiting for someone or something
To show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine
Staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today

And then the one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun



If you are smiling… You have time!

3 comments: