Tagline

This is not an express route. Where ever my mind travels to, the blog will ride shotgun.
This journey is mainly fuelled by humour!

Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

Venting in the city...

I mentioned that in May we are going on a cruise to Alaska. Last night we finalized some of the arrangements.

Our daughters had booked a flight that was to arrive on a Monday in Vancouver (BC), the cruise is leaving the day after.

Never been to Vancouver, we took this opportunity to extend our stay and we changed our flight for the previous Friday. This should give us 4-5 days to visit this outstanding city. Not a problem there, however I am disgusted to see that to change the flight they (Air Canada) charge $75 each… The flight is in May for crying out loud, why the extra charge? This is an example of why I stay away from commercial travelling. Maybe I just don’t know any better and that checking with the company I would learn they had to change the plane on that Monday for a smaller plane and our new plane Friday to a bigger one sheeeesh! If that was only that… on our return flight, we have our seat already reserved… we are sitting one beside the other and now the question is who will get the window… might need to toss a coin on that one J Anyway I am not too sure it’s the best arrangement, we will have just spent 5 days together, in a boat ha ha ha. BUT, we couldn’t reserve our seats to go to Vancouver. Actually, we could, but there was a charge of $35 per seat… Why would you be, free of charge, able to reserve your seat on one leg but not on the other! 

While I’m in a mood to rant…

I would not intentionally break the law. I also know that ignorance of the law is not a defence. But, I find it more difficult to follow what I can do and what is prohibited with the internet. I think that when the Internet started, the idea was to have every one sharing anything. This is less true today then when I started travelling on this medium. I understand about copyright and you will not see me copying movie, music or anything that someone gets a living from. However, for the one that wants to freely share where do you go? Couple of days ago, I needed a picture of a cake… it was not easy to find one that I was allowed to copy, and even then, I am not sure I could. I just don’t know if the copyright police will not come knocking on my door. Being a blog expert – 8 posts strongJ, I know that pictures are important in a blog. I will be investigating some of the sites available and see what is involved.

Every thing I post, you can copy, quote, de-quote, miss-quote. I do not do this for monetary reason, and don’t care if anyone uses what I have here. Just remember that, if you use something and you change anything in it, please do not say it is from me, it becomes yours and yours only. I would not sue, and be assured that if you quote me with or without acknowledgement, I would be honoured. Like at work, I am more a back bench worker, I enjoy posting and if my wife and my daughters enjoy what I say then mission accomplished, we have lift off!

9 comments:

  1. Love the blog, just joined as a member. Is there a discount?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a matter of fact, there is, just send me half of what you were about to send!

      Delete
  2. Hey! How come there is no "If you are smiling…" today? You can't do that to your followers! Can you?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To last anonymous... there is no smilling statement today to give everyone a brake and have one day of week a sad face :(

      Delete
  3. Still trying to figure out a few things about posting.

    Sorry, didn't mean to spam you.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No harm done! As long my supper is ready when I arrive home hahaha

      Delete
  4. For posting images, the usual practice is to put them up but also to leave the attribution (you say where you got them from and put in a link to the webpage that is the source). It's considered impolite to "hotlink", so link to the page not the image file and add them by downloading to your desktop and then uploading to the blog.

    Because you're not even close to any of the grey areas of image sharing, pretty much the worst thing you can expect is a takedown notice... where you have to remove one or many of the pictures on your blog.

    If you are very paranoid, you can use flickr for photos. Go to the following webpage and select one of the Creative Commons categories. They ALL work for the purposes of your blog, just make sure you attribute your photo, and do not change in any way the image of a "noderivativ" licence. You can then search by keyword for photos which someone has explicitly said are okay to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to put in the link!

      http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/

      Delete
    2. Thank you anonymous, just one question, I use picasa earlier for a post I'm getting ready for tomorrow, I think it's link to Blogger because there is a "button" to send the picture to it. But when it does no credit seem to follow, would the credit be in the property of the picture??

      Delete